By Chef Mark Steele
I‘m sure we would all agree that there’s nothing quite like fresh baked bread straight from the oven especially with a tasty bowl of soup. The following recipe is simple but so good and you can jazz it up by adding your choice of ingredients to the dough before shaping whether it be fresh herbs, kalamata olives or jalapeno’s & cheddar just to name a few.
1 Cup Warm Water
1 Cup Milk 2%
4 tbsp Butter
10 grams Active Dry Yeast
3 tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Salt
5 Cups Flour
Method: * Can be done by hand but much easier with Kitchen Aid*
1. Pour warm water, yeast & half the sugar in the mixing bowl of Kitchen Aid Mixer and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Warm butter & milk in a small pot just enough so that the butter melts.
3. Reserve 1 cup of flour to adjust consistency of dough when mixed.
4. Mix 4 cups of bread flour with salt and remaining sugar.
5. Add warm milk & half the butter mixture to yeast mixture but be careful the milk is not too hot, it should be warm.
6. Mix on Medium low speed with the dough hook attachment adding the flour mixture gradually until a soft, smooth and elastic. If needed add some of the reserved flour until desired consistency is reached.
7. Place dough in a greased covered container and be sure to leave a lot of room for the dough to rise for approximately 1 hour .
8. Remove dough(if you would like to add additional flavors now would be the time, I recommend adding pickled jalapeno slices and grated cheddar). Knead dough (using remaining flour for dusting) for 2 minutes by hand incorporating in the ingredients if added, then cut into desired size or shape.
9. Place cut dough on a baking sheet or baking pan and cover with cellophane. Let rise for an additional 45 minutes.
10. Melt remaining butter and brush on top of bread before you place in oven.
11. Bake at 400 for 15 – 35 minutes depending on if you are making rolls or loaves.
Recipe will yield 2 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.
Mark Steele / Executive Chef
Food & Beverage Operations / Algonquin College
Tel 613-727-4723 ext 7260 / Fax 613-727-7735